This course prepares students with a foundational understanding of marketing in the digital age. Students will learn how marketing concepts, market analysis and consumers’ behavior are impacted by shifting technology and media landscape. The course will cover fundamental concepts in innovation, branding, search engine, social media, storytelling, display, retargeting, customer journeys and related areas. Case studies and hands on experience will be provided. At the end of the course, students will be better equipped to deliver coherent digital marketing strategies.
The course is designed for participants who aspire to initiate, manage and execute marketing program of enterprises and organizations. Students will exit the course with understanding in:
- The impact of changes in media landscape and consumer behavior on innovation and marketing
- Basic marketing concepts such as 4Ps (product, price, place, promotion), paid/owned/earned media and branding/performance campaigns
- Search engine optimization and marketing
- Social media marketing
- Content marketing and storytelling in the digital age
- Branding, public relation and crisis management
- Display advertising, CPM/CPC/CPI, retargeting, programmatic advertising, fraud, affiliate and influencer marketing
- Customer purchase journey, lifetime value and relationship management
- Analytics, measurements and attributions
- Relevant case studies and hands on experience
Students will apply the concepts learned in group projects to formulate and deliver a digital marketing campaign for a target of their choice.
Students are required to form project teams consists of 3 or 4 members per team. Team members will jointly deliver the final project which will constitute 30-40% of the grade. Each project team will pick a real-life marketing challenges and formulate a digital marketing strategy, taking the following factors into consideration:
- The nature of the product or service being marketed
- Target Audience
- Required outcome, i.e. sales, downloads, awareness, etc.
- Campaign strategy and marketing contents
- Channel selection and budget allocation
- Campaign monitoring and optimization
To obtain hands on experience (and because no textbook is required for this course), each team will pool together an advertising budget to execute the marketing campaigns.
Peer reviews will be conducted during the semester. The results will be used to moderate project grade for each individual members.